Home » Sports » West Indies Cricket Board Apologizes As ICC Chides Players

West Indies Cricket Board Apologizes As ICC Chides Players

ICC chairman N Srinivasan

ICC chairman N Srinivasan

By NAN Sports Editor

News Americas, LONDON, England, Weds. Nov. 12, 2014: The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has reportedly apologized to The Board Of Control For Cricket In India following the sudden cancellation of the India tour by West Indies players.

BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said the Board sent “an apology letter” for the sudden cancellation, India media reports indicate.

The disclosure came on the same day The International Cricket Council chided West Indies cricket players for taking contractual matters into their own hands.

The ICC said that players abandoning tours had the potential to cause “irrevocable damage” that could “adversely affect the financial viability of the sport itself.”

“Players who behave in a similar manner in the future will not only risk breaching the disciplinary rules of the relevant member board and being sanctioned accordingly, but may also put in jeopardy their ability to conclude future contractual arrangements with domestic franchises or clubs in other jurisdictions,” the statement added.

The West Indies effectively cancelled their commitments in India last month due to a dispute between the WICB, the West Indies Players’ Association (WIPA) and the players themselves.

The WICB faces a claim for millions of dollars in damages from the BCCI and could still be suspended by the ICC, with the matter a subject of ongoing board meetings in Dubai.

The West Indies’ players decision led to one ODI, one T20 and three Tests being cancelled and the BCCI submitting a claim for $42m in damages.

The India board has also suspended bilateral relations with the WICB and threatened it with legal action if its demands are not met.

ICC chairman, N Srinivasan, called the incident a “sad chapter in our sport,” adding that it “damaged cricket’s integrity and reputation, as well as affecting confidence within the cricket community, especially that of the fans.”

“The ICC board was determined to address this situation and ensure such incidents never happen again,” the statement added. “The ICC is working with the concerned members towards finding a positive resolution and is confident that there will be constructive outcomes for our game.”